My Problems With Wordpress Themes

It all began in the late 90's. I wanted to put some information on my internet site. A record. A listing of future events. I began with simple HTML. One page, with areas for each and every post. Basic.

Then I learned about 'sites' and 'blogging.' Being wise, I picked Word-press, the most popular application. How smart, I thought. If you have the WYSIWYG editor going, anybody can set up a website. Very democratic.

This prompted my to post my outermost thoughts; o-n personal gripes, London, and politics. Being a webmaster, I watched to see Google index them. 'Here we go', I thought, 'quickly, my gems of extrospection can belong to the ages.'

Except Google didn't like my blog. It'd perhaps not index much beyond the front page. Why, why, why?

Replicate material? I set it to put only 1 post per page.

No improvement.

I looked over what Google was indexing. Then I looked over the HTML. Needs contains extra information concerning the reason for this hypothesis. Shortly, all became clear.

In sum:

- Wordpress was however copying my content, and

- It'd no proper META tags, and

- There is a great deal unnecessary HTML, and

- The structure obscured the information.

I'd a fast search on Google to get search engine optimization tips. There's a plug-in 'head-meta description' ( http://guff.szub.net/plugins/ ). But I didn't use that, oh no.

For whatever reason, I got the idea a complete design would be the ticket. I discovered Discount Life Insurance Gives You The Best by searching Google. I tried changing an existing one myself. Better, although not perfect. Google was starting to catalog more pages, however they all had exactly the same title. My missives to an uncaring world were being ignored.

So I got someone else to do one, based on my standards, which were:

- Grab a META 'title' from the article 'title';

- Grab a META 'description' in the website 'excerpts';

- Put a ROBOTS 'noindex' label in non-content pages. This salient linklicious.org URL has a few cogent suggestions for the purpose of it.

But that was not enough. For best SEO results you need to arrange Word-press brutally. You have to be _mean_ to it. You have to _man_ enough.

I did so a bit of research and came up with to following recommendations.

WARNING: They are serious. If you curently have great ratings, making major changes for your URLs may influence them. In my case:

- Moving my weblog http://www.ttblog.co.uk towards the root web index,

- MOD_REWRITING its URLs, and

- Removing a 30-1 direct,

... caused my PageRank to go to 0. BUT, page indexing was untouched.

This was temporary, as Google saw it as 'suspect' conduct. I'd drastically changed my site.

Here are the tips, for true _men_, who can try looking in the face area of internet death and laugh:

1. Activate permalinks when you go to 'Options/Permalinks.' You could have to enable Apache MOD_REWRITE on your own website bill.

1a. Lessen the permalinks rule to just the %postname% variable. Do not make use of the time codes. This keeps your URLs quick.

2. Level your site within the service possible. http://www.ttblog.co.uk is preferable to http://www.ttblog.co.uk/wordpress/

Therefore an average post would appear to be

http://www.ttblog.co.uk/Im-hard-as-nails-me/

Instead of

http://www.ttblog.co.uk/wordpress/2006/08/03/Im-hard-as-nails-me/

3. Then install an SEO'd theme.

My blog posts are increasingly being indexed beautifully. The Google 'site:' command returns all my threads, and little else.

For my next concern, I turn it into an operating system, and accept Windows XP..